Youtoocancookindianfood. When i saw January month SNC challenged by Manjula of Northern Team for January was Ghevar with Kesar Rabdi, i was very sure i wouldnt do it .It was too tricky and more calories,so i thought i might skip.Manjula has given a commendable job in giving detailed description and pictorial in her blog DieFiesta.
Ghevar , it was an impossible mission for me,i was too scared to try it.I was inspired when the fellow bloggers actively participated in the event, i thought let me try too, wow , i am happy i tried .This is such a amazing dessert that you should have definitely once.
I liked the ghevar on its own, it was so crunchy and melted in the mouth.I made the rabdi it just tasted heaven no words to say .I didnt try it with sugar syrup as it is too sweet for us.Do try it guys , you will definitely like it you can reduce the sugar if you want.
- Maida - 5 tbsp
- Water - 3/4 cup ,it should be runny consistency do add if you need more
- Ghee - 2 1/2 tsp
- Saffron - soaked in 1 tbsp of milk.
- Oil for frying
- Milk - 3 cups
- Condensed milk - 1 can
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Pistachios - 4 crushed
- Saffron - 1/2 tsp
- Sift maida in the bowl , add the ghee and mix it well.
- Add the saffron soaked in the milk and water and stir it well , careful not to form lumps.
- The Batter should be running consistency.
- Take a deep round flat bottomed vessel .When the oil is hot,start pouring in the batter from quite a height.
- The batter starts to spread dont panic,add little by little.
- Reduce the flame and let it cook golden .(No need to flip)
- Take from the oil and keep in the tissue paper that the oil gets absorbed.
- In a vessel grease the bottom with butter or ghee.
- Add the milk and cook it till it reduces to half.
- Now add the pistachios , saffron and cardamom powder.
- Add the condensed milk and give it a stir .When it boils remove from flame and cool down.
- Refrigerate .
For ServingWhen serving top the ghevar with the rabdi and topped with some nuts of your choice and serve immediately .
- Ghevar ,Rabdi can be made ahead.
- Use heavy bottomed Kadai , bec the oil tends to come to top , which is quite a risk.