- Urad dhall - 1 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 1tsp
- Small onion - 10 nos ,chopped finely
- Curryleaves - 5 nos,chopped
- Jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Ginger - 1/4 tsp , grated
- Oil for frying
- Soak urad dhall for two hours.
- Grind it into smooth batter adding less water.
- Before taking the batter out , add the whole jeera and pepper .And let it grind for 3 seconds.
- Scoop out the batter and put in the bowl.
- Add salt , small onion,rice flour and mix it well.
- Heat the oil for frying ,when a small piece of batter is dropped it should rise to the top immediately.
- You can use cling flim /plantain leaf.I dipped my left hand in the water , and take a small ball and make a gentle pat ,a make a small hole in the middle.
- Slide into the hot oil,cook both sides till golden brown.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.
- The batter should be smooth .For 1 cup of dhall , u can add 1/4 cup of water.
- The batter shouldnot be too runny or too thick.
- You can chilly for adults , small kids feel it too spicy.
- You can add grated carrot too.
- If small onions not available ,big onions can be used.
- Grinding in grinder , makes the batter too soft .Mixer grinder can also be used.
- Dont add salt while grinding , the batter wont flow well.
Jagruti,s Cooking Odyssey - Makar Sankaranti / Republic Day event