Sambar.This is kids friendly version as it is not spicy.
Serves : 4
Duration : 20minutes
Ingredients - I
- Rice - 1 cup
- Yellow split Moong dhall - 3/4 cup
- Water - 5.5 cups
- Salt as needed
- Whole Jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Whole Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Whole Jeera - less than 1/4 tsp
- Whole Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8nos
- Cashewnut -5 nos , broken
- Grated Ginger- 1/4 tsp
- In a pressure cooker add the washed rice and dhall.
- In a pan , heat little oil , add the pepper and jeera from the ingredients list - I.
- When the pepper splutters add this to the pressure cooker.
- Add salt and water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.Leave it for simmer in 5 minutes.Then switch off.
- In a pan , heat the ghee add the ingredients under season ,when the cashew nuts turn golden brown ,add grated ginger and saute for a second top it to the cooked pongal and give it a stir .
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sambar.
- Adding more water makes the pongal soft .
- You can coarsly powdered pepper and Jeera .
- You can add red chilly while seasoning to make it more spicy.
- Seasoning in ghee gives good aroma.
- If you want more rice and less dhall you can adjust the measurement to your choice.
Sending this to Sara's Kitchen : Dish in 30 minutes -Rice Recipes event