June 20, 2013

Venthayam Kulambu/Fenugreek gravy



This is another gravy made with fenugreek seeds.The fenugreek seeds are quite dominant,but not overpowering.You can increase or decrease the tamarid to suit your taste buds.I dont like my gravy  tangy so i have reduced.I suggest to use gingelly oil ,which enriches the taste of the gravy.This taste yummy with just hot rice and pappad.



Ingredients
  1. Oil-  2 tbsp
  2. Mustard seeds 
  3. Green chilly-1 ,split
  4. Small Onions- 5 ,chopped finely
  5. Tomato -1 ,small,chopped
  6. Tamarid-small lemon size,(you can decrease the tamarid ,it still tastes good)
  7. Hing-1/4 tsp
  8. Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
  9. Red chilly Powder-1 tsp
  10. Coriander Powder-1 1/2 tsp
  11. Curry leaves- 1 string
  12. Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
  13. Salt to taste


Method.
  1. Heat 1/4 tsp of oil in a kadai,add the fenugreek seeds and saute till golden and keep it aside.When it cools down dry grind and keep it aside.
  2. Heat the remaining in the same kadai,add the mustard seeds ,when it splutters add the green chilly,hing,curryleaves and small onions.
  3. Saute it for 2min.
  4. Now add the chopped tomato and when it gets mushy add the tamarid juice.
  5. Add turmericpowder,corianderpowder ,salt and red chilly powder.
  6. Let it boil for 15min till the raw smell goes in a medium flame.
  7. Let it simmer for another 10min.
  8. Now add the powdered fenugreek seeds ,let it cook for 1min.
  9. Remove from heat and serve with hot rice ,kootu and pappad.

24 comments:

  1. delicious kuzhambu and this is healthy too

    ReplyDelete
  2. tangy and yummy kulambu...It taste great with vadagam...

    ReplyDelete
  3. healthy n delicious kuzhambu,my most fav recipe too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think with the consistency i can replace this with sambhar. looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour of the dish itself is very pleasing and attractive,delicious kuzhambu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking long since I saw ur posts.Glad to see u come back with vendaya kozhambu.I am sure it is ideal for summer.I have put it in my to make list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meena, I made the kuzhambu yday,it was really yummy with rice . My daughter loved it..Thanks for posting the recipe. I have put a pic in my fbk for evidence:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks meena for trying and very glad u r daughter liked it too.I am so happy.Checked the fb too,thanks yaar.

      Delete
  7. Vendhaya kuzhambu looks stunning with vibrant color, one flavorful kuzhambu.... super

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to gingerly oil and you just reminded me that I should buy a bottle. I have completely forgotten about the oil until I read your post. I know how the taste can be because my mum uses it for her cooking.

    This curry is an explosion of Indian flavors and its knocking me out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this curry and has been on my to-do-list for a while...:-) Thank you for sharing the recipe Meena :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..this is interesting..have heard about this but good to see the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour and consistency of the gravy Meena. I have never had this - But I will make it soon - The flavours are so alluring :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. o my..one of my fav kulambu/gravy to go with rice..yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. healthy and delicious ! nice presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy preparation and nice blog...Happy to follow u..
    do visit mine Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious and flavorful gravy Meena.. Fabulous clicks too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is unique curry. Use of fenugreek makes this dish a super healthy one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an intensive yummy colour. I'd love to try it! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Book marked, I love fenugreek seeds, this curry looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete